Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snail Mail

Day 17
Yesterday was post office day. Our post office is always busy. There is always a line. Usually I can use the self serve kiosk and be in and out quickly. Not so, yesterday. I knew it going in and I blocked off the afternoon for line standing/people watching. The line at the kiosk was as long as the line for the counter help. And most of the kiosk users don't know how to use it, so don't bother.
I wrestled three big boxes out of the car, slid the van door shut and then realized that it didn't close all the way. So, I freed one finger on my right hand to try to undo the latch and have another go. Ho Ho Ho. Thanks go out to the kindly lady who took pity on me and leant a hand.
Once inside, I assumed my place in line and immediately was flung into a one sided conversation with the lady in front of me who had lost both mailbox keys and wasn't quite sure what to do about it. Thanks go out to the kindly man behind me who started a chit chat and made me turn around from lost key lady. She quickly moved on to another victim. Everyone minded their manners and kept cool heads and the wait wasn't "forever" because we all made it home in time. The only dramtic moment was when lost key lady was told that it would cost her $40 for the guy to come out and replace the lock on her mailbox. I'm going to assume that she's now mastered the "put things back where they belong" lesson in the school of life.
I only have one more quick trip to make and I'll be done for another year.

2 comments:

pammc said...

Oh, another story line popped into my head reading this.....Glad the kindly man rescued you.

madelineas said...

Glad the nice man rescued you, and the nice lady helped with the van door before you caught your hand in it :)

That's One Way To Do It

>

Crawling