Friday, December 05, 2008

The Best Gift of all

David is home, safe and sound. We weren't sure when, exactly, he would be home. There was worry that it might be after the baby was born. But it all worked out and he's back and the bun is still cooking away in the oven and all is right in that little corner of the world.

I am constantly reminded of how very lucky we are. We've had a tragedy strike awfully close to home. A friend of Alex's has died in a horrible accident. It is moments like this swiftly put life into perspective. There isn't very much in life that matters as much as we think it does. In the end the only thing that is really important is the health and well being of our loved ones. I sometimes forget that my "problems" are barely blips on the radar of the universe. They just don't matter that much and I sometimes make them bigger and more important than they really are. I have the task of guiding Alex through this traumatic time, but that task pales in comparison to what his friend's family is facing. I must remember to accept my circumstances and bless them for the gifts they offer. This time I've been offered the gift of clarity and gratitude for all I have in my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, David. Jennie, I know you and everyone else are so happy he's home. And he'll get to be there for the birth too - that's wonderful.

madelineas said...

I am holding you and Alex close in my heart sweetie. This is such a tragedy for that poor family

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}

pammc said...

It often seems that joy and sorrow are mixed together in our lives. Sounds like this is one of those times for you. I know you will do your best to be there for Alex and that you both will come through the sadness.

Anonymous said...

So glad that David is home. My heart hurts for you and Alex and the other family....love and prayers for you all.

That's One Way To Do It

>

Crawling